Low impact Water Sensitive Urban Design is described
as the "Integration of Urban Planning and Development
with the Management, Protection and Conservation of
the water cycle."
Key principles of Low Impact, Water Sensitive Urban
Design are identified as:
1. Protection and enhancement of natural water systems
within urban developments.
2. Protection and improvement of the quality of water
draining from urban developments into outfall water
3. Reduction of runoff and peak flows from urban development
by the incorporation of local detention measures and
minimisation of impervious substrates within the development.
4. Addition of value to the urban development by the
minimisation of drainage infrastructure.
Permapave solutions for Low Impact Water Sensitive Urban
design has two key advantages.
Firstly, most existing urban areas can be retrospectively
upgraded to provide the advantages of Low Impact Water
Sensitive urban Design.
And secondly, Permapave Low Impact solutions require
substantially less land than other available solutions.
Four unique design solutions for Low Impact Water
Sensitive urban design using Permapave are demonstrated:
1. Inner City or main Street Low impact Water Sensitive
2. Rain gardens using Permapave
3. Wide verge using Permapave
4. Conventional Kerb and channel using Permapave